Friday 24 January 2014

Individual edit of The Red Caller



This is my individual edit, I have used final cut pro to do the basic edit, and After effects to colour grade and apply titles (motion tracking). I put some cross fade transitions in the edit, so the Red Caller appeared slowly. I didn't do this too much, because it is a thriller. I decided to colour grade the piece, rather than do the Pleasantville effect, so I could develop my skills further in colour grading. I will continue to do the Pleasantville effect on the group edit, as planned. 

I used the curve effect on After effects, to give my opening sequence a blue tone, like most thrillers have. I have also used the brightness and contrast effect, and decreased the brightness slightly and increased the contrast. This makes the footage look darker and more intense, like a thriller. Vibrance was also used, so I could make the red stand out more, and be vibrant. 

I have motion tracked the text, so It looks apart of the footage, as well as decreasing the opacity, so the titles didn't take focus from the footage. I have also created a mask so the text appeared behind certain places, the car, bus, hair and lamp post. There are 18-22 title slates in a thriller, with the most important first (apart from the director). I have kept the title slates all similar, apart from the title of ''The Red Caller'', this is on it's own background. I have added some smoke effects in the background, this creates a feeling of a thriller.

I created the soundtrack on garage band, I created multiple layers, so the soundtrack was intense and as it would be in a thriller film. I have made the music at the begging get louder and more intense, and then the train cuts that and the soundtrack continues at a different tone. I have also added foley, to make the sequence more realistic. I have matched the foley with the footage, and the soundtrack with the footage.

I decided to not use the, weak and innocent mother character, shots, because I thought they didn't fit in with the story. It also had a different style to both of the other characters shots, I think the sequence makes more sense without these shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment